[4 min. read]
As businesses evolve in an ever-changing landscape, the need for robust IT is becoming increasingly important. IT is necessary to meet customer demand and streamline a business’s operational procedures to assist employees in their jobs. Without IT support, businesses cannot operate, making the choice of IT service providers fundamental.
Small and medium businesses want cost-effective methods to elevate their internal processes, and many choose outsourced IT services as a solution. Outsourced IT management has many benefits, including allowing companies access to IT specialists who assist with providing more efficient and effective services to their customers.
What Is Outsourced IT?
Outsourcing IT services is standard practice for businesses across industries. It involves trusting external service providers with providing IT infrastructure solutions, offering utility services and delivering IT-enabled business processes.
Companies with outsourced IT management have more time to focus on their core business practices. Fostering strategic partnerships with external IT service providers can also elevate business growth in addition to fulfilling IT requirements.
Increased operational pressures may require companies to seek a more comprehensive IT solution. Outsourcing provides a host of services businesses may not be able to replicate with the traditional in-house staffing model, including threat management, reduced investment in human resources and crisis resolution. The solutions to IT challenges are centralized and businesses can choose a service that best fits their needs.
Types of Outsourced IT
To outsource IT effectively, it’s necessary to understand the types of outsourced IT available. There are many, but small and medium enterprises often use the following:
Managed IT Services
Managed IT services represent the typical model we associate with IT support. Technicians are available 24 hours a day to troubleshoot IT problems and take care of the day-to-day maintenance of your operation. Managed IT service providers also provide security, administrative and data backup services and monitor your network constantly for any problems. With managed services, your IT team takes care of many operational IT tasks daily.
Professional IT Services
Professional services may not take care of your company’s day-to-day needs. Still, they provide an on-demand solution model that could be employed for one-off projects or to expand and change your business operations. Companies that need to address specific challenges may turn to professional services. Their work will be thorough and detailed. They work on a consulting basis and can be utilized as needed.
7 IT Outsourcing Benefits
The benefits of outsourcing IT are multifold. You can choose service providers based on the size of your business and the scope of your IT requirements. Some advantages to consider include the following:
1. Reduced Costs
Businesses often pay a fixed amount for outsourced IT services, making them easier to budget for and more cost-effective in the long term. Your company can avoid the often prohibitive costs of retaining an IT team and providing them with the infrastructure. Outsourced IT relieves your business of the financial and time expenditure involved with an in-house team.
2. Enhanced Access to Expertise and Innovative Technology
Outsourced IT means access to the latest in IT technology. Managed service providers (MSPs) are more equipped to handle your company’s ever-changing needs and can offer more holistic solutions to IT problems. Outsourced IT gives your business access to a team of experts from around the world with vast experience in many areas.
3. Qualified and Reliable Service
Training technicians in-house can waste valuable resources, especially for a small business. Managed service providers train technicians at their own time and expense. The staff on the IT team are reliable and qualified, as they have gone through a screening process to meet specific requirements put in place by your managed service provider.
Specialized technicians and other IT staff have more than secondary or tertiary knowledge, removing the challenge of training in-house applicants. Managed service providers give your business access to qualified staff who can cater to all business sizes and strategic outcomes.
4. Increased Productivity
Without an outsourced option, employees are often pulled away from their tasks to handle IT-related issues. Outsourced IT allows your employees to focus on their productivity without the distraction of urgent IT problems. As employees and the outsourced team become familiar with one another, the day-to-day operations become more streamlined, which is excellent for your bottom line and employee satisfaction.
5. Reduced Cybersecurity Risk
With an MSP in the background, your business is all but assured sensitive information is secure. They constantly monitor your network and systems for vulnerabilities, breaches and suspicious activity, reducing your risk of being the victim of malicious attacks.
6. Enhanced Compliance
Compliance can be a complex issue and your business may need to spend a lot of time reporting to local and international compliance agencies. An outsourced IT team has vast experience in compliance and security specific to your industry. Their team has to meet their own standards, making compliance a vested interest to all parties.
7. Improved Customer Service
Outsourcing makes your staff more productive and streamlines your operations, meaning you can focus on superior customer service. Your customers will notice fewer delays, quicker responses and a more confident workforce when an external team manages your IT needs. Channels of communication remain open due to reduced downtime, cementing your reputation and allowing your business to maintain a competitive edge.
IT Outsourcing Disadvantages
Business owners must be aware of the potential downsides of outsourced IT services, some of which include the following:
- Security risks: Your company trusts the outsourced IT team to cover security, but you may not fully know their risk management protocols. Conduct extensive research when choosing an MSP to ensure they can provide your business with adequate protection and risk management strategies.
- Opposed objectives: In-house IT staff often function as a cohesive unit with the rest of your employees. Outsourcing can create a disconnect, as employees don’t come face-to-face with their service provider.
- Limited control: Outsourced IT services require control of your security and essential functions, which can make some business owners uncomfortable. Forming a partnership with a service provider you can trust is critical.
- Impaired communication: MSPs serve multiple businesses, which could result in communication delays. Slow communication is particularly problematic with regard to security issues.
- Lowered employee morale: Your current staff may feel threatened or insecure when you add an external party. Consider morale and ensure you consider your staff when making company-wide changes.
When to Outsource IT
Outsourcing IT can be beneficial to your business provided you know how and when to implement the change. If any of the following is true in your business, it might be time to look at outsourcing options:
- Hardware and software issues: If these issues are causing downtime or creating cost concerns, it may be worth handing them over to an MSP.
- Lack of current IT solutions: Whether your business lacks the resources for a committed IT department or you want to augment your current IT management, outsourced support could play a vital role in streamlining your IT.
- Need to explore cost-effective options: Outsourced IT saves your business money and allows you to focus on your daily operations.
- Desire to upgrade your current IT support: If you’re looking for innovative solutions, outsourced IT services remain up to date with all the latest technologies and can find a method to incorporate them into your business practices.
Find the Best IT Outsourcing Solutions With Morefield
Does your business need help with outsourcing IT solutions? Morefield can consult with you and create solutions to optimize your business. Our wide variety of services can help you get the most out of your IT processes. At Morefield, we help organizations make smart technology decisions, and our experts will work with you to assess your current setup and recommend the best solutions for your business — from strategic planning to implementation.
We offer a variety of products and services and over 70 years of experience in the industry, so you can be sure you’re getting the best possible value. Our customer care is also unmatched, so you can always feel confident you’re in good hands. Please feel free to connect with us today to learn more about how Morefield can help you.